It is that dreaded time of the year again...Science Fair time!! I considered not even mentioning to my kids that it was time again for the Science Fair (last year was good enough for me). But, I knew I would have whining, upset kids if they missed out on the chance. Madison & Andrew both decided they wanted to do a project this year. I asked Zach a few times, and he said he didn't want to do it this year. He said, "No, I did it last year and I won." He won second place in his category last year, so he figured that was good enough. Why not go out on top? (Or second from the top I guess). So, the kids picked what they wanted to do. Andrew chose to mash up different fruits and put them in bottles with a balloon on the top of each one. As the fruits decomposed, we would see which one would blow up the balloon faster. He had a fun time pureeing the fruits in the blender and then watching the balloons change over the course of 4 days. Madison had a hard time settling on a project, but finally decided to make a barometer and try to predict the weather. Unfortunately, the weather and air pressure didn't change much over the 4 days she had her barometer, but she was thorough in recording any changes each day, and also looking up the weather and air pressure on weather.com. They both had a fun time with their projects, all except for putting together their posters, which required way too much writing! It was a relief to set the projects up this morning in the gym and know that it is over. Or so I thought... They both got first place in their division!! Woo Hoo! I am excited for both of them. They worked very hard and learned a lot. Now it is onto the County Science Fair in May. That will be a long day, but another fun experience. I will keep you posted on the outcome of that.
Here are some pictures of the kids sitting with their projects.


So, now that they have all won, does that mean we are done with Science Fairs??

3 comments:
Haha! That's great!! Way to go for both of them! When is the County Science Fair?
It is on May 16th.
Good job kids! Awesome!
Mom says: They are following in her footsteps. She went to the state science fair twice, and she is very proud of them! Miss you!
Post a Comment