TONS of pictures today!!
We headed out to Pearl Harbor Wednesday morning. This is a picture of the USS Arizona memorial (the white building) from the shore.
While we were waiting for our turn to go to the USS Arizona, we took a tour of the USS Bowfin Submarine. It was pretty neat to see all the old instruments and such.
I also realized I could NEVER live on a submarine. I was almost getting claustrophobic just walking through! Can you imagine living & sleeping like this for months at a time?
Missile Launchers
Ready, Aim, Fire!!
After the submarine tour, we headed into the sub museum to kill a little more time. This is a model of the USS Bowfin. (John, not included)
I thought the flags were kind of cool. Each sub had a flag like this one depicting how many enemy ships they had taken down.
I can't believe they used to wear these diving suits! Luckily it wouldn't weigh as much underwater.
Next, we took a ferry out to the USS Arizona Memorial. The memorial is built right over the top of the sunken ship.
You can still see the oil leaking out from the ship. They estimate that there are still 500,000 gallons of oil in the ship. It leaks at a rate of 2 gal. per day.
It was a sobering feeling to see all the names of those who were killed on this ship. On the bottom left-hand corner there is a small memorial with names of survivors of Pearl Harbor who have chosen to be interred with their shipmates. The guide said that those who wish to be interred will be cremated, and then divers will take the urn down and deposit it through a small crack into the ship. Wow.
Our last stop at Pearl Harbor was the USS Missouri. This ship was HUGE! I believe it was one of the last US battleships in operation.
It was also where the documents were signed ending WWII
On our way back home, we decided to take a detour to the Byodo In Temple grounds. It was such a gorgeous, serene place.
The grounds were beautiful.
Buddha. The temple is still used for worship.
The koi ponds were amazing. The fish were GIGANTIC!
It was a lovely day with a lot of neat sights to see.

2 comments:
Gorgeous! Oh I miss Hawaii.
That's a bummer that the PCC was a little hokey... Good to know, though :)
Great pics! Looks like you guys had an amazing time!
Post a Comment